Zombie Brain with Tombstone Toasts
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Sure to be a favorite haunt at your next Halloween party, this creepy cheese spread, made with savory Cheddar, Parmesan and cream cheese, serves as a wicked centrepiece for your buffet table.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) blanched almonds
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) spreadable cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 French baguette
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Spread the almonds out in a baking pan and toast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and dump into the container of a food processor (or blender, if you don't have a processor). Chop roughly, but don't pulverize the nuts to a powder. They should remain crunchy.
- Add the shredded cheese, cream cheese and Worcestershire sauce to the container with the nuts and process, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice, until very well mixed. The cheese mixture should be nearly smooth.
- Spread half of the Parmesan cheese onto a plate. Spoon half of the cheese mixture out onto the plate with the Parmesan and roll, by hand, to form a slightly flattened ball. Set aside and repeat with the remaining Parmesan and cheese mixture.
- Press the two flattened balls together to form the two halves of a zombie's brain (we all know what that looks like) and place on a serving plate. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the brain to firm up, then make brain-like indentations in the surface of the cheese with a knife, spoon, or whatever else you have handy. Voila — a brain.
- Now the tombstone toasts. Slice the baguette into 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) slices. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), turning them over once, for 10 minutes or until they are lightly toasted on both sides.
- Arrange tombstone toasts around the brain on the serving plate and serve, if you dare.
How kids can help
Help form the two lobes of the brain, and add the wrinkly texture to the surface.
Slice the bread and arrange the toasts around the brain.