Vegetable Shepherd's Pie
Originally submitted by Sparkles and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
Brimming with hearty kidney beans, mixed vegetables and Cheddar cheese, this layered potato-topped pot pie is a savory surprise on a cold winter's day. Just pop it into the oven and dinner is deliciously done.
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water until tender. Drain and mash.
- While potatoes are cooking, steam or boil mixed vegetables and carrots until near tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook garlic powder, basil and parsley in butter about 20 seconds (or microwave for 10 seconds). Stir into mashed potatoes along with salt and pepper. Gradually beat in enough milk to make potatoes light and fluffy, add a little more milk if necessary. Set aside
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender but not brown. Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar and vegetable/carrot mixture. Heat through until bubbly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a 8x8x2-inch baking dish. Drop mashed potatoes in mounds over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Servings per Recipe: 6
- calories: 699cal
- total fat: 13.9g
- cholesterol: 37mg
- sodium: 1128mg
- carbohydrates: 123.3g
- fiber: 22.9g
- protein: 24g
Try it With:
Matzo Ball Soup
Related Recipes & Articles:
Favorite Beef Recipes