Vanilla Vampire Cupcakes
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Christina Stanley-Salerno
Average User Rating:
These cupcakes are simple to make and decorate. All of your ghouls will agree, they're bloody good.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 apples, shredded
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
Creamy White Frosting recipe
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 cup unsalted butter or shortening at room temperature
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tubes of red food gel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12 cup) cupcake pans with 16 cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, shredded apple, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for another minute, just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don't overbeat. Pour batter into the prepared cupcake pan(s).
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center of the layer comes out clean. While cupcakes are baking, prepare icing. Allow cupcakes to cool on a wire rack for at least 3o minutes before frosting.
- To make frosting, in a large bowl, combine sugar, butter or shortening, milk and vanilla. Beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated, then turn speed up to high and beat for 5-7 minutes or until frosting is creamy.
- Spread about 1-1/2 tablespoons of icing onto each of the cooled cupcakes. Using a long wooden skewer or toothpick, poke 2 holes into each cooled cupcake. Insert the tip of the food gel tube into each of the holes and squeeze. Gently pull the tip up and out of each hole, dragging it slightly across the top to create the drip of blood.
Baking Time: 25-30 minutes