Tropical Fruitcake Cookies
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Buttery and rich and studded with glazed cherries, pineapple, Brazil nuts and raisins, these darling fruitcake cookies are sure to bring much merriment to friends and family over the holidays.
- 1 cup (250 mL) raisins
- 1 cup (250 mL) glazed cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) glazed pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) Brazil nuts, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking soda
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and grease the paper lightly. In a bowl, toss together raisins, cherries, pineapple and Brazil nuts. In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together sugar, butter, egg and vanilla until creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour, baking soda and salt, beating until the batter is thoroughly combined and smooth. By hand, stir in the fruits and nuts, mixing just until the fruit is evenly distributed. The dough will be thick and lumpy.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet by heaping tablespoons, leaving about 2 inches (5 cm) between them to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned but still soft. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before removing to a rack to cool completely.
How kids can help
Mix together fruits and nuts. Stir the batter and drop onto cookie sheets.