Sweet Summer Berry Topping
By Jennifer Low
Average User Rating:
This recipe for Sweet Summer Berry Topping is a juicy way to add vitamin-rich raspberries and blackberries to desserts. The topping is a healthy addition to treats like cheesecake, ice cream or pound cake.
- 1/2 pint (175 g) raspberries or blackberries
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) lemon juice
- 3 or 4 drops vanilla extract
- Put five berries (reserve the rest for later) plus the sugar, water, lemon juice and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Use a wooden spoon to mash the berries into the liquids.
- When the sugar is melted and the mixture begins to simmer, add the rest of the berries and gently stir to coat with syrup and just warmed through. (Be careful not to break up the berries. Do not overcook.)
- Serve immediately with your selected dessert.