By Jennifer Low
Average User Rating:
With a nod to Tex-Mex inspiration, chopped fried tortilla wraps are sprinkled on this crunchy Rainbow Salad. The colors of the veggies are bright and pretty. Make this in a clear glass bowl if you have one so you can show off the layers. Serve with Rainbow Salad Dressing or your favorite salad dressing.
- Two small tortilla wraps (or one large one)
- Olive oil
- Dash salt
- Dash chili powder
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) matchstick carrots
- 1 green apple, diced
- 4 ounces (120 g) Cheddar or marble cheese, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 or 3 romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
Rainbow Salad Dressing
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) regular or low-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) orange juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash sugar
- Whisk ingredients together until smooth. Cover and chill up to two days ahead. Makes 1 cup (250 mL) dressing.
- Lightly brush both sides of the tortilla wraps with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and chili powder. Place in a hot pan until wraps begin to brown, turning once. Cut into 1/4-inch (6 mm) shreds and 2-inch (5-cm) lengths. These can be made several hours ahead.
- In the bottom of a bowl layer celery, carrots, apple, cheese, bell pepper and shredded romaine. Finish by sprinkling the chopped tortillas over the shredded lettuce.
- Serve immediately with Rainbow Salad Dressing.