Spinach and Arugula Salad
Original Kaboose.com recipe by Chef Eddie Blyden
Average User Rating:
Two refreshing greens, cheese, pears, and crunchy walnuts combine to create a summery salad. Serve it as a side dish or a main course.
To see all the chef-inspired recipes, check out our Shortcuts from a Chef: 18 Easy Recipes gallery!
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pears, cored and cut in 1/8ths
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Reggiano or Grana Padano, shaved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place walnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. When ready, remove from oven, and let cool.
- While the walnuts are toasting, combine 3/4 cup olive oil, red wine vinegar, shallots, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk everything together in a mixing bowl until smooth, or shake vigorously in a mason jar for approximately 15 seconds.
- Toss the pears in 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill in preheated grill pan for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Turn more if needed.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, arugula, toasted walnuts, grilled pears, half the Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup vinaigrette, and a pinch of salt and pepper; toss gently. Divide into four salad bowls and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Make it Faster
To save time, buy pre-washed arugula and spinach.
Tips & Tricks
Use a melon baller to core pears.
Shake the dressing in a mason jar instead of whisking.
12 to 16 minutes