Smashed Potato Salad
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Vanessa Bush
Average User Rating:
This combination of fingerling potatoes and fresh vegetables would make a healthy side dish for dinner. "Kid-friendly" preparation means the whole family can help. Plus, the ingredients for this recipe don't cost more than $10 -- this is one great cheap eat!
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup red onion cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup capers, drained well
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped cilantro
- Add potatoes to large pot. Fill with enough cold water to cover; add salt to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 15-20 minutes, depending on size of potatoes, until potatoes are tender throughout.
- While potatoes cook, make vinaigrette dressing. Whisk together vinegar, olive oil and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes and let cool. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Smash down gently on slices using flat side of the knife; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine potatoes, tomatoes, onion, capers and cilantro. Toss gently.
- Pour balsamic vinaigrette dressing over potato mixture and mix until well-coated. Serve warm or slightly chilled.
How kids can help
Let the kids pitch in by allowing them to toss the potato and vegetables after you pour on the vinaigrette dressing.