Average User Rating:
Looking for Christmas cookies to make with the kids? These beautiful homemade Irish shortbread biscuits have a sweet, buttery taste and a firm, crumbly texture.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Leave the butter out of the fridge to soften a little.
- Cut pieces into the flour and rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips. The result should be like fine breadcrumbs.
- Then mix in the sugar.
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch round or square baking pan with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Press the mixture very hard into the bottom of the baking pan (use lots of pressure, that's what makes the shortbread hold together), and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cut with a sharp knife into desired shapes while it is still warm and sprinkle the top with addtional sugar.
- Let it cool in the pan - if you take it out too soon, it falls apart.