Severed Chicken Fingers with Toxic Dip
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Served alongside ghastly green dip, these crunchy, potato-chip-coated chicken tenders serve as a spooktacular snack for hungry trick-or-treaters before they head out for some Halloween fun.
- 1 lb. (500 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 bag (170 g) potato chips — any kind
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut each breast into 1/2-inch (0.5 cm) thick lengthwise strips. Depending on the size of the chicken breasts, you may get 4 to 6 strips out of each one.
- Cut a small slit into the unopened bag of potato chips and, with a rolling pin, crush the chips thoroughly by rolling back and forth over the bag. (The slit is to let the air out of the bag so that it doesn't explode.) Now open the bag but don't dump out the chip crumbs.
- Working with one or two chicken strips at a time, dip each one into the beaten egg, then drop into the bag with the potato chip crumbs. Shake to coat thoroughly, then fish out the fingers and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken strips, until they are all coated with crumbled chips.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes — turning over after 10 minutes — or until fingers are lightly browned and crisp. Remove from baking sheet.
- Discard any leftover potato chip crumbs that have been in contact with the raw chicken.
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
- 3 medium dill (or other) pickles, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) mustard (Dijon or regular — whichever you like)
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) sugar
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients. Blend, pulsing on and off, until the dip is mixed but still has a slightly chunky texture.
- Serve as a dip for Severed Fingers (or even just with raw veggies).
How kids can help:
Crush the potato chips and toss the chicken strips into the crumb mixture.
Arrange the fingers around the bowl of toxic dip and decorate the platter.