Scrambled Egg Soft Tacos
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Breakfast isn't all that eggs are cracked up for. These savory soft tacos toss together scrambled eggs, spicy salsa, green pepper, onion and shredded cheese for a quick and easy entree any time of day.
- 2 small flour tortillas (7-inch/18 cm diameter)
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped green pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (50 mL) shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) salsa (any kind — spicy or not)
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) while you prepare the filling for the tacos.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and green pepper and cook, stirring, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until softened.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, salt and half of the cheese. Pour into the skillet and cook, stirring to scramble, until the eggs are cooked the way you like them. Remove from heat.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and unwrap. Spoon the egg mixture into the two tortillas, dividing it evenly between the two. Top with the remaining cheese and the salsa. Fold the tortilla up from the bottom edge to keep the filling from falling out, then fold the sides securely one over the other (the top will be open).
How kids can help
Chop veggies and scramble the eggs.
Older children can do the actual cooking (with adult supervision).
Assemble and fold their own tacos using the ingredients of their choice.
Try it With: