Red Velvet Pupcakes
Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Katherine Barreira
Average User Rating:
Not only is beet juice the secret behind these cupcake’s crimson hue, it is also a source of the ideal fiber dogs need to maintain healthy digestion. Iced with low-lactose cottage cheese, these trendy treats are also a balanced meal.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup beet puree or fresh beet juice
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 6 cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil and sugar. Stir in applesauce and beet puree.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Slowly stir flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups to three-quarters full and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the pan and cool on a rack.
- In the bowl of a food processor, puree cottage cheese until smooth, about 30 seconds. Keep frosting refrigerated until cupcakes are completely cool. Frost and serve.
Tips & Tricks
Baking Time: 25 minutes