Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes with Chocolate Sauce
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Vanessa Bush
Average User Rating:
This Valentine's Day, borrow a trick from a hot restaurant trend: mini-desserts. Instead of icing, top these treats with a drizzle of melted chocolate to create a decidedly grown-up dessert.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 package Baker’s Chocolate Dipping Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating on medium after each egg.
- Add food coloring and beat on low until mixed thoroughly.
- Alternate flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on medium-low after each until combined.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar in a separate small bowl. Add mixture to the batter; beat until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 10-15 minutes; remove from oven and let cool.
- While cupcakes are baking, melt dipping sauce according to package directions.
- Drizzle melted sauce over cupcakes; serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks
Instead of a chocolate drizzle, break out the fondue set and dip the cupcakes into a melted chocolate fondue.
Baking Time: 15 minutes