Dog Cake for Kids
Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Wendy Kalen
Average User Rating:
No kid can resist a cute puppy dog. This easy-to-make dog cake will bring smiles to all the little faces at the table.
- 1-18.25 ounce box vanilla or yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup raspberry or other flavor jam
- 1 family-size frozen premade loaf cake
- 1 muffin
- 2-16 ounce cans prepared white frosting
- 3 spice drops
- Brown paste or liquid food color
- Black paste or liquid food color
- 1 4-inch piece red fruit leather
- 1 small pretzel stick
- 2 chocolate drop-shaped candies, such as Hershey’s Kisses
- According to manufacturer’s directions bake the batter in two 9-inch round pans. Let cool. Spread jam on one layer and cover with second layer.
- Flatten one spice drop into an oval 3 ¼-inches long and 1-inch wide, for the nose. For the nostrils make 2 indentations in the spice drop with a small round object, such as the back of a felt tip pen cap. Flatten two spice drops to 3 ¼- inch circles, for the eyes.
- Paint the oval with black food coloring and let dry completely. Paint the eyes with brown food color and let dry completely.
- Cut loaf cake in half. Cut the half loaf cake in half diagonally. Cut the bottom off of the muffin (the snout). With frosting adhere the snout to the head.
- Carefully brush crumbs off cakes. On a cooling rack set over sided cookie sheet place round cake (the head), and the triangular cakes (ears).
- Heat frosting in microwave 30 seconds on high; stir. Heat in 10 second intervals, stirring after each, until frosting is easily pourable. Pour frosting over cakes and muffin to cover; let dry completely. If needed, scrape excess frosting from cookie sheet, remelt and pour again. Repeat as often as necessary.
- Stick the pointy end of one candy through the middle of the spice drop eye. Repeat with the other candy and brown spice drop. Adhere the eyes and nose to the head. Draw the mouth with the food-safe black pen.
- Fold the fruit leather in half. Cut one small end the shape of the mouth and round the other small end to make the end of the tongue. Adhere the tongue with icing. Place the pretzel stick beneath the tongue into the head to keep the tongue elevated.
- Paint the freckles of the dog with brown food coloring. Let dry completely.
- Place ears near the head.
Instead of icing pens for the mouth black licorice string can be used
Tips & Tricks
Tweezers are really handy for placing small things, such as the nose, with greater accuracy.
Servings per Recipe:
Baking Time: About 28 minutes