Poppy Seed Yogurt Cupcakes
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Slathered in frosting or simply dusted with snowy icing sugar, these cupcakes have a deliciously different flavor. Try adding grated lemon or orange peel to the batter for a citrus kick.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/4cup (50 mL) poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and the poppy seeds. Let this mixture soak while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the sugar, butter and eggs until thick and creamy — about 5 or 6 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, in 2 or 3 additions, alternately with the poppy seed mixture. Beat just until smooth. Spoon into the cupcake liners, filling them no more than 2/3 full -- there should be just enough for 12 cupcakes. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes -- until the cupcakes are just beginning to brown and a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool on a rack.
- When completely cool, frost with your favourite frosting — it goes well with either chocolate or white frosting or use the cream cheese frosting from the Dessert Pizza recipe.
Tips & Tricks
How kids can help
Prepare the muffin pan with paper liners.
Stir together the yogurt and poppy seeds.
Older children (10 and up) can use electric mixer (with adult supervision) to prepare the batter.
Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Spread cupcakes with icing and decorate, if desired.