Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Wendy Kalen
Average User Rating:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of shelled pistachios
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Add 6 tablespoons of the sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extracts until combined.
- Add flour and salt. Beat until combined, scraping down side of bowl occasionally.
- In a miniature food processor chop the pistachios and cranberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until about half the size of miniature chocolate chips, small pieces, but not finely chopped.
- Add the pistachio mixture and mix until well combined. On an ungreased baking sheet form into a log 12-inches long and flattened to 3-inches across. Chill in the refrigerator 15 minutes.
- Bake 30 minutes until lightly brown around the bottom. Remove pan to cooling rack and let cool 10 minutes. With a sharp chef’s knife cut log on a slight diagonal into cookies about ½-inch thick by bringing the knife down in one motion through the cookie. Place back on cookie sheet standing up on bottom of cookie. Return to oven and bake 30 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
Any combination of nuts and dried fruits can be substituted for the pistachios and cranberries. If not using almonds, pistachios, or cherries do not use the almond extract.
The cookies can be made through step 4, wrapped well, and stored in the fridge up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 6 months.
About 16 biscotti
Chilling Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 1 hour