Peppery Glazed Chicken Wings
Recipe and photo are courtesy of The Sunday Night Football Cookbook
Average User Rating:
These sweet and peppery chicken wings are an excellent appetizer for a Super Bowl party or other casual entertaining occasion.
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 15 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Make the Garlic Chips: Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and fry until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Make the Chicken Wings: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil and minced garlic. Add the chicken wings and turn to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the chicken wings on the baking sheet in one layer and bake, turning once, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, 1 cup water, the cracked pepper, crushed garlic, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture becomes syrupy, about 30 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken wings to a large bowl and toss with the glaze.
- Divide the wings among 4 serving plates. Garnish with the garlic chips and serve immediately.
This content originally appeared in The Sunday Night Football Cookbook (NBC Sports and Time Inc. Home Entertainment, 2008).
1 hour +