Pepper Jack Cheese Poppers
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Vanessa Bush
Average User Rating:
Turn traditional cheese balls into party food with this savory appetizer. The jalapeno pepper jack cheese in this version gives the finger food added bite.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oil on medium-high heat in a large deep skillet.
- Combine water, butter and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil and cook until the butter melts.
- Add flour and stir until mixed thoroughly, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat with a hand mixer. Stir in the cheeses.
- Drop dough mixture into the oil by the spoonful; cook in batches until browned, about 3-4 minutes each batch.
- Drain poppers on paper towels and serve warm.
Tips & Tricks
Provide guests with a dipping sauce, such as a sweet red chili sauce, or an orange marmalade, to complement these light cheese puffs.