Pasta with Turkey Meatballs
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Ground turkey makes a tasty substitute for ground beef in these savory, bite-size meatballs that pair perfectly with tender linguine or spaghetti noodles and herbed tomato sauce. The meatballs can be made ahead and frozen for pasta, soups and subs.
- 1 lb. (500 g) ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) very finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (2 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28-oz/796-mL) ground or crushed plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) crumbled dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) crumbled dried basil
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) pepper
- 1 lb. (500 g) uncooked spaghetti or linguine
- grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork or clean bare hands until thoroughly combined. 3. Form into 1-inch (2-cm) meatballs, rolling them between your hands so they're nice and round. Place meatballs in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red or green pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened. Pour in ground tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add browned meatballs to the tomato sauce and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for another 30 to 35 minutes. The sauce should be thickened and the meatballs tender.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but not mushy. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot in which it was cooked. Add a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce, stir to coat evenly, transfer to a serving bowl and spoon the remaining sauce and meatballs on top. Serve immediately and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
How kids can help
Mix and roll meatballs.
Chop vegetables for the sauce.
Add browned meatballs to the sauce.
Try it With: