One-Pot Pasta with Chicken and Mushrooms
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
This is a delicious and quick one-pot wonder. If you want, you can use herb and garlic seasoned diced tomatoes instead of the plain kind – but omit the basil in the recipe and save yourself a step when making this wonderful One-pot pasta with chicken and mushrooms recipe.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable or olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch (2 cm) chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups (375 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (28-oz.798 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 2 cups (500 mL) smallish pasta, such as shells, bow ties, fusilli or elbows
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- black pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken chunks and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until just beginning to brown. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken chunks to a bowl leaving the as much of the oil behind in the pan as possible.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the pot and cook until softened – 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water and basil, bring to a boil, then stir in the uncooked pasta. Cover with a lid, lower the heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender but not mushy, stirring once in a while. Drain any excess water.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and cook for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is completely heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.