Mac and Cheese Chicken Pot Pie
Original Kaboose.com recipe by Chef Eddie Blyden
Average User Rating:
Tender pasta, savory chicken, succulent mushrooms, flaking pie crust, and tangy cheese come together in this one dish casserole meal. Serve it with a side salad and you're done.
To see all the chef-inspired recipes, check out our Shortcuts from a Chef: 18 Easy Recipes gallery!
- 1 ready-made puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cooked boneless chicken breast, cut in half-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked macaroni
- 12 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out ready-made puff pasty sheet. Cut out fun shapes of the pastry and lay on baking sheet. Next, brush the pastry ring with an egg wash. (to make the wash, break and egg into a bowl, add a bit of water, and beat until blended.) Put the pastry ring on a cookie sheet, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the pastry is baking, make the pot pie filling. Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken, onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, celery, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly stir in milk. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer over medium-low heat until thick, approximately 5 to 8 minutes. Add cooked macaroni and cheddar cheese. Stir 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide in 4 bowls and cap with pre-baked pastry.