Lunch Box Taco Salad
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
This totable taco salad makes a sweet treat for school lunches. Some assembly required, but kids love tossing together all the fixings and are sure to enjoy this welcome break from PB&J.
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canned kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sour cream (regular or low fat)
- 1 cup (250 mL) tortilla chips (regular or baked)
- In a plastic container big enough to use as a bowl for the finished salad, toss together lettuce and tomato. In a small plastic container with a tight-fitting lid, stir together beans and salsa. Pack shredded cheese and sour cream in separate plastic containers. Finally, pack tortilla chips in a zip-top plastic bag.
- OK, you've got all the components. Now what? At lunchtime, open the container of lettuce. Dump bean mixture on top, add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Finally, crumble tortilla chips on top and lunch is served!
How kids can help
Prepare all the ingredients for the taco salad and place in containers.
Assemble at lunchtime.