Lemon Easter Basket Cake
Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Wendy Kalen
Average User Rating:
An Easter basket made from a lemon bundt cake is great fun. It's also really easy - but that can be your secret. So what are you waiting for? Get hopping!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup fresh sqeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon peel
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
¼ cup lemon juice, milk or water
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- A couple drops green food coloring
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, beating until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together to combine.
- Add lemon juice to buttermilk.
- Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, alternately add dry and buttermilk mixutres to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in lemon peel. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until cake begins to pull away from side of pan and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes on cake rack. Turn out onto cake rack and let cool completely.
- Mix confectioner's sugar and lemon juice to combine. Ice upside-down cake with icing and let dry.
- Fill hole with plastic wrap. Top cake with coconut, making the edge a little higher.
- Grass: In a resealable plastic bag, Mix a coconut and green food color to combine.
- Handle: Fold an 18-inch long piece of aluminum foil lengthwise four times. Secure a ribbon at one end of the foil and wrap to cover. Shape covered foil into long handle. Insert ends of handle about ¼ -inch from the edge of the cake. Add a bow.
- Top coconut with the Easter candies of your choice.
- Cake can be ahead, wrapped tightly and frozen, unfrosted, up to 6 months.
Servings per Recipe:
30 minutes, not including decorating
About 3 hours
Baking Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour