Building Blocks Cake
Photography by Lucy Schaeffer
Average User Rating:
This recipe is rated Easy to do
Parental supervision is recommended
These build-your-own cakes are perfect for your budding builder's birthday celebrations. The blueprints are simple: The cakes are baked in loaf pans to create building blocks, with mini cupcakes on top for the Lego-like bumps. Then everything is frosted in bright colors.
Also be sure to check out our other birthday cake ideas for your next party!
- Cake mix baked in 3 bread loaf pans.
- Cupcakes (homemade or store-bought)
- Vanilla frosting
- Knife or small spatula (for spreading frosting)
- Food coloring
- 3 bowls for mixing frosting
- Serving plate
- Cut the cupcake tops off. Use the the bottoms of the cupcakes as the Lego-like bumps on the bricks.
- Put 1/3 of the frosting in a bowl.
- Mix with food coloring to achieve the desired shade for the building block cake pieces.
- Repeat to make 2 other colors.
- Frost each loaf/brick with one color of frosting and place on serving plate. Stack third block across other two blocks (see photo).
- Decide where you would like to have the bumps located on the blocks. Frost with color matching the blocks.
- Be sure to take pictures! This will be one cake you will want to show off.