Irish Chicken Stew with Dumplings
Originally submitted by Claire McLaughlin and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
Nothing could be more comforting than a hearty homemade stew of shredded chicken and a medley of root vegetables, except, perhaps, if you threw in some delicious dumplings, which is exactly what we did.
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- In large, heavy pot, combine soup, water, chicken, celery, onion, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat about 1-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, shred it, and return to pot. Add peas and cook only 5 minutes longer.
- Add dumplings. To make dumplings: Mix baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling stew. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
Servings per Recipe: 5
- calories: 722cal
- total fat: 11g
- cholesterol: 70mg
- sodium: 3031mg
- carbohydrates: 114.8g
- fiber: 10.4g
- protein: 41.2g