Healthy Halloween Treats
Original Kaboose.com recipe by Amanda Formaro
Photography by Lucy Schaeffer
Average User Rating:
Decorated apples and oranges become delicious and healthy treats for Halloween, fall, Thanksgiving, or Kwanzaa parties.
- Popsicle or craft sticks
- White chocolate chips and red and yellow food coloring OR orange candy melts
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Thick skinned oranges
- Whole cloves
- Cut up fresh fruit, such as melon, grapes and pineapple
- Cutting board
- Paring knife
- Wax paper
For the apples:
- Remove any labels. Wash apples and remove stem.
- Insert stick into top of apple.
- Melt white chocolate chips or candy melts according to package directions in microwave or on stovetop. If you want to color the white chocolate, add a few drops each of yellow and red food coloring and stir to make orange.
- Use a tall cup or glass wide enough for the apple to fit into. (If using microwave, melt the chocolate or candy right in this cup.) Dip apples into melted candy or chocolate until completely covered.
- Place apple on wax paper.
- Decorate with chocolate chips to make a face or chocolate sprinkles for a festive apple.
- Allow to cool and harden on wax paper. You may put them into the refrigerator to speed the process.
For the orange fruit cups:
- Roll the orange around in your hands or on the counter. This helps to loosen the pulp from the sides of the orange, making it easier to remove.
- Cut about 1/3 off the top of the orange.
- Carefully scoop out the inside of the orange. Reserve it for fresh orange juice or other recipe.
- Make a face by inserting cloves into the front of the orange.
- Fill orange with fresh chopped fruit.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until serving time.
- Be very careful when handing knives. Parents should do all the cutting, or closely supervise older children during this step.
- Scooping out the orange can be tricky. You can use an orange squeezer to remove most of the juice first, then gently loosen the pulp from the sides of the orange by running a spoon down the inside.
- Add decorations right after dipping the apples so that the chocolate or candy does not have a chance to harden. Have all decorations out and ready so you aren’t fumbling to open bags and containers as your chocolate dries.