By Annabel Karmel
Average User Rating:
For Halloween, your kitchen will be transformed into a gory laboratory when you make these brain cupcakes. Brains have never been so tasty -- and cupcakes have never been so clever!
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- One 16-ounce tub vanilla frosting
- Red and black food coloring
- Prehead the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put all the cupcake ingredients in a bowl and beat them together until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners and fill each halfway with the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the muffins have risen, are golden in color, and spring back into shape when pressed with your finger. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Add enough confectioners' sugar to the creamy vanilla frosting to make it stiff enough to pipe. To the frosting, add a light red and a black food coloring to create a pinkish-gray frosting for the "brain."
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes, and usinng a red food coloring and a toothpick, draw red veins on the icing.
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Related Halloween Recipes:
- Haunted House of Cupcakes
- Scary BooBerry Cupcakes
- Creepy Crawly Nightcrawlers
- More Halloween Recipes
- Halloween Tricks & Treats
This content originally appeared in the Complete Party Planner: Over 120 Delicious Recipes and Party Ideas for Every Occasion by Annabel Karmel (Atria Books, 2006) and the Annabel Karmel Family Cookbook (Dennis Publishing, Winter & Christmas 2008 edition).
To learn more about bestselling cookbook author Annabel Karmel, click here.