Grilled Shrimp with Corn and Black Bean Salad
by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Average User Rating:
The zippy flavours and brilliant colours of this festive salad complement tender grilled shrimp. Grilling the corn concentrates the kernels' sweetness and adds a smoky accent to the bean salad.
- 1 lb (500 g) raw jumbo shrimp
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each soy sauce and sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Corn and Black Bean Salad:
- 3 cobs corn
- 1 can (19-oz/540-mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 head boston lettuce, separated
- Peel off shrimp shells, leaving tails on; cut each shrimp lengthwise down back and gently pull out dark vein running down back. In bowl, combine oil, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper and garlic. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Corn and Black Bean Salad: Meanwhile, husk corn. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Close lid and cook, turning occasionally, until kernels are tender and grill-marked, about 15 minutes. Slice off kernels to make 1-1/2 cups (375 mL); place in bowl. Add black beans, red pepper, onion and coriander.
- In small bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, salt, cumin and pepper. Pour over corn mixture; toss to coat.
- Place shrimp on greased grill over medium-high heat. Close lid and cook, turning once, until shrimp are pink, about 6 minutes.
- Divide lettuce leaves among plates. Top with salad, then grilled shrimp.