Grilled Hamburger Bun Pizzas
By Jennifer Low
Average User Rating:
Grilled pizza is only minutes away if you have hamburger buns handy. This recipe makes 8 small pizzas – just right for a family with small kids.
- 4 whole-wheat or regular hamburger buns
- Olive oil for brushing
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) tomato or pizza sauce
- Selection of toppings: chopped chicken or ham, lean cooked sausage meat, sweet peppers, tomatoes, onion, Thinly sliced zucchini, baby spinach leaves, mushrooms, fresh chopped herbs such as basil and oregano.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) grated Cheddar or mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz./ 120 g)
- Split the hamburger buns, slice off the rounded surface of the top buns.
- Lightly brush both sides of each halved bun with olive oil. Place on low-flame BBQ and toast until the bottoms are browned at edges.
- Transfer the buns to a platter or cookie sheet, toasted side up.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of tomato sauce on each; add other toppings, finishing with the grated cheese.
- Put buns back on the BBQ and close the lid. Cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Check occasionally that buns are not scorching.
If kids want to try making these with minimal supervision, you might want to try the toaster oven. Toast the first side of bun, flip over, add toppings, toast again.