Grilled Chicken and Mango Kabobs
by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Average User Rating:
Succulent chunks of chicken, drizzled in a honey-lime marinade and skewered with sweet mango, are as pleasing to the eye as to the palate and bring a taste of the tropics to your kitchen island.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 lb (500 g) total
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- 2 mangoes
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 small red or sweet onion, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) chunks
- In small bowl, whisk together lime rind and juice, oil, garlic, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes; place in separate bowl. Pour half of the marinade over top and toss to coat; let stand for 20 minutes. Stir honey into remaining marinade; set aside. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate separately for up to 4 hours.)
- Meanwhile, cut off mango flesh from each side of pit. Cut grid pattern of 3/4-inch (2-cm) squares in flesh of each side down to (but not through) skin. Gently push skin to turn inside out; cut off flesh. Chop any flesh left on pit.
- Core, seed and cut red pepper into 3/4-inch (2-cm) pieces. Onto each of 4 long or 8 short skewers, alternately thread mango and red pepper pieces; brush with half of the reserved honey marinade.
- Alternately thread chicken and 2 or 3 onion pieces onto each of 4 more long or 8 short skewers. Discard marinade used for chicken. Place kabobs on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning and basting chicken once with remaining honey marinade until fruit is softened and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes.
- Substitution: Use a small cantaloupe instead of the mangoes.
Servings per Recipe: 4 long skewers or 8 short skewers
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Kabobs
- Teriyaki Steak and Chicken Kabobs
- Honey Chicken Kabobs
- Saffron Chicken Kabobs
- More Chicken Recipes