by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Hot on the trail of a healthy snack? These chocolatey, chewy granola bars are packed with almonds, walnuts, rolled oats, raisins, cranberries and apricots for a tasty, wholesome snack to go.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats (old fashioned or quick -- not instant)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) broken walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped dried apricots (scissors are easiest!)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chocolate-covered peanuts or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease a 10 x 15-inch (25x40 cm) jelly roll-type baking pan (with 1-inch sides).
- In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar and the vegetable oil. Add the oats and stir until evenly mixed. Stir in the water, toss to combine, then add the almonds and walnuts.
- Dump mixture into the prepared pan. Press down to pack oat mixture into an even layer -- it should be pretty tightly compressed.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice so that it browns evenly. Try not to break up the clumps too much -- you want it to remain chunky. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- When the oat mixture is cool, stir in the apricots, cranberries and chocolate-covered peanuts or raisins.
How kids can help
Stir together oat mixture and press into pan.
Cut up apricots and add all other ingredients to the mixture.