Kids' Gift Cake
Photography by Lucy Schaeffer
Average User Rating:
This recipe is rated Average to do
Parental supervision is recommended
Flavorful fruit-cancy ribbons are wrapped all over this delicious gift cake that's perfect for birthdays or to serve during the holidays.
- Cake mix (check directions for ingredients needed)
- Vanilla frosting
- Fruit rolls (e.g. Fruit Roll-Ups) or fruit leather
- Fruit snacks shaped as circles
- Kitchen scissors
- Follow the directions on the cake mix box to create a layer cake.
- Note: If you wish, bake in 9x13-inch pan and cut to make a layer cake.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Frost the cake, be sure to put a layer of frosting between the layers.
- Use the fruit rolls to make ribbons on the cake.
- On the tails of the ribbons, make a V cut on each (see photo).
- To make the bow, simply cut the fruit rolls into a strip and curl to make a circle. Make 2 small circles, 1 large circle, and 2 circles slightly smaller than the large circle.
- Cut a piece of the fruit rolls to use as the ribbon to hold the circles all together.
- Pinch the 3 largest circles together in the middle (see photo).
- Place one smaller circle on either side of the pinched circles. Hold on to only the inside closest to the other circles, but don't pinch in both side (see photo).
- Run the ribbon though the circles to hold together. Pinch to adhere.
- Lay the bow on top of the cake in the middle.
- Use the fruit snacks on the open area of the cake for decoration.
- Place birthday candles inside the fruit snacks.