German Potato Salad
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography
Average User Rating:
This authentic sweet and sour potato salad recipe is loaded with bacon flavor. It's perfect if you don't like mayonnaise or the calories and fat it adds. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature. Serve it at any casual entertaining occasion.
- 8 large potatoes (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- Place potatoes in large pot. Add enough water to cover potatoes with 1 inch of water. Add salt, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook potatoes about 30 minutes, or until easily pierced. Drain. When cool cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In large skillet over medium high heat cook bacon according to manufacturer’s directions. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Drain on paper towels, chop coarsely and reserve.
- In same large skillet add reserved drippings and cook onion over medium heat about 3 minutes, or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar, sugar, and salt. Cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Heat potatoes 4 minutes on high in microwave, or until hot, tossing gently after each minute. Pour cider mixture over potatoes, tossing gently to coat potatoes. Sprinkle with bacon and scallions, tossing gently to mix.
Potatoes can be made up to 2 days ahead, kept in refrigerator.
Make it Faster
Use precooked potatoes.
Use precooked bacon.
TRY IT WITH
Philly Cheez Steak Sandwiches