Fully Loaded Breakfast Muffins
Average User Rating:
Packed with the goodness of fruit and wholesome grains, these sweet and savory muffins are a delicious way to start your day. Add variety to your morning muffin mix by substituting grated apple or pear or summer-fresh berries for crushed pineapple.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bran
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 can (14oz/398 mL) crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, oats, bran, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with the milk and the vegetable oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all the ingredients are evenly moistened. Stir in the crushed pineapple and the raisins or cranberries, mixing just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups all the way to the top — you will probably have enough batter for 8 to 10 muffins.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are very lightly browned, and a toothpick poked into the middle of one comes out clean. Remove from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly before eating.
How kids can help
Mix together the dry ingredients, beat the egg mixture and stir everything together.
Spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
Try it With: