Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Wendy Kalen
Average User Rating:
A football cake with mud filling (marsmallow cream, crushed chocolate cookies, caramel and butter) is the perfect end to a football party.
Also check out our other birthday cake ideas for your next party!
- 1 box (19.5 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup marshmallow cream (such as Fluffernut®)
- 10 chocolate sandwich with vanilla filling cookies (such as Oreos®)
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) milk chocolate frosting
- ½ cup white canned frosting
- Melt chocolate and let cool.
- Make 9-inch round cake according to manufacterer's directions, adding the melted chocolate with the eggs.
- Bake cake according to manufacterer's directions. Cool.
- Filling: In a bowl beat butter, marshmallow cream, and caramel sauce, scraping down side of bowl as needed, until combined. Add cookies and mix to combine.Fill cake.
Cut and remove ½-inch-by-9-inch rectangle from the middle of the cake.
- Glaze: Remove aluminum top from from frosting. Microwave 30 seconds on high. Stir to combine until smooth.
- Leaving the cake on the cooling rack, place the rack on a jelly roll pan. Reserve ½ cup frosting. Pour the remaning melted frosting over the cake to cover. Pour reserved frosting over removed rectangle. Let frosting glaze set completely.
- To make the laces and markings pipe white frosting through a recloseable plastic bag whose corner has been cut or through a pastry bag with a small tip.
- Any cake mix can be used - just don't add the 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate.
- Any canned frosting can be used in place of the homemade filling.
- The cake can be baked, wrapped tightly, and frozen up to 6 months ahead.
- The filling can be made and stored up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before spreading it.
Servings per Recipe:
1 hour 20 minutes
Baking Time: 25-30 minutes