Original Kaboose.com recipe by Stella Zedman
Photography by Lucy Schaeffer
Average User Rating:
These tasty fajitas are food and entertainment all rolled into one delicious dinner. Serve a selection of favorite toppings, such as sour cream, guacamole, olives, salsa, shredded cheese, and veggies, and let everyone create their own masterpieces.
- 1 lb. (500 g) beef flank steak or boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lime juice
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) olive or vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) crumbled dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, squished
- 2 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium green or red peppers, sliced
- 8 to 10 small (6-inch/15-cm) flour tortillas
- fajita toppings (such as sour cream, guacamole, chopped avocado, shredded cheese, salsa, chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce)
- Slice the beef or chicken breasts thinly across the grain of the meat. Place in a zip-top plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of the oil, oregano, garlic, cumin and pepper. Mix well, then pour into the bag with the meat. Press out as much air from the bag as possible and zip the top closed. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours (or overnight).
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in a 250° F (120° C) oven to warm while you prepare the filling.
- When you're ready to cook, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of oil to the skillet and throw in the sliced onions and peppers. Stir-fry, tossing constantly, until the vegetables soften and are beginning to brown lightly. Remove from skillet, leaving any oil behind.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and, with the skillet still over high heat, add the meat to the pan, tossing constantly until just cooked through. Return the onions and peppers to the skillet, stir to combine and then transfer to a serving platter. (If your kids prefer their meat not to touch their vegetables, simply skip this last step and don't combine the meat and veggies before serving.)
- Serve with warmed tortillas and a selection of toppings.
- Note: If you prefer to cook the meat on the barbecue grill, don't slice it before marinating. Grill the beef or chicken breasts whole until cooked through, then slice and combine with the stir-fried onions and peppers just before serving.
How kids can help
Combine ingredients for the marinade and add to the meat in the plastic bag.
Cut up peppers and onions.
Prepare bowls of fajita toppings.
Try it With:
Easy Tortilla Soup
More Mexican Recipes