Ellie's Kitchen Sink Cookies
By Ellie Krieger, MS, RD
Average User Rating:
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 ounces good quality dark chocolate (60 to 70 percent cocoa solids), cut into chunks
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Toast the walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, oil, and brown sugar. Add the applesauce, egg white, and vanilla and mix to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, salt, and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until just combined. Stir in the cherries, apricots, walnuts, and chocolate.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Using 1 tablespoon of cookie dough at a time, roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Press the cookies down with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. Bake until lightly browned but still soft, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool. These cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Recipe provided courtesy of Ellie Krieger. © 2008-2009 In Balance, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
To learn more about Ellie Krieger, MS, RD -- New York Times bestselling author and host of Food Network’s Healthy Appetite -- go to www.elliekrieger.com.
For more of Ellie Krieger's recipes, eat-smart advice, and tips, check out her Kaboose column, Great Food, Healthy Family.
Servings per Recipe:
9 (2 cookies each)
Total Fat: 10g
9 (2 cookies each)
This dish is a good source of thiamin.
RELATED ELLIE KRIEGER RECIPES:
- Ellie's Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Ellie's Chocolate-Covered Banana Pops
- Ellie's Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting
RELATED KABOOSE RECIPES:
- Baking Cookies: Q&A
- Easy Cookie Decorating
- What's Your Cooking Style?
- Great Food, Healthy Family with Ellie Krieger