Easy Pad Thai Noodles
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Who needs takeout when you can stir up a wonderful version of everyone's favorite Thai dish in a snap? Serve it to suit your tastes with either shrimp, chicken, tofu or a combination and as much spice and heat as you like.
- 3/4 lb. (340 g) dry rice noodles (1/4-inch/0.5-cm wide)
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) Heinz ketchup
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) Asian fish sauce (or soy sauce, if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp.(1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. (340 g) raw shelled shrimp, boneless chicken breast or firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch/1-cm pieces
- 3 cups (750 mL) bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch slivers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro (optional, if desired)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsalted peanuts, slightly crushed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- At least half an hour before you want to begin cooking, place dry rice noodles in a large bowl. Cover with hot tap water and let soak for at least 30 minutes or as long as two hours.
- In a small bowl, stir together ketchup, fish sauce (or soy sauce), lime juice, brown sugar and cayenne pepper. Have the beaten eggs, onion, garlic, shrimp (or chicken or tofu), bean sprouts, green onions, cilantro and peanuts in separate bowls so that they are ready to quickly throw into the stir-fry. Once you begin cooking, it will go very quickly.
- Heat half of the vegetable oil in a wok or very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until the eggs are firmly scrambled. Remove scrambled eggs to a bowl, breaking up into clumps.
- Drain the noodles in a colander.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok or skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add minced onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just golden, about 1 minute. Add shrimp (or whatever you're using) and stir-fry for 1 or 2 minutes or until cooked through. Now add the ketchup mixture, 2 cups (500 mL) of the bean sprouts, the green onions, the noodles and the water. Cook, stirring constantly, until the noodles are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Return the scrambled egg to the pan along with the cilantro and toss to mix. Remove from heat and dump noodles onto a large bowl or platter. Top with remaining bean sprouts and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
How kids can help
Cut up, mix and arrange the ingredients in bowls.
Young children (5 years old) can add ingredients to the pan as needed while adult stir-fries.
Garnish finished dish with peanuts and bean sprouts.
Try it With:
Sugar and Spice Nuts
Related Recipes & Articles:
Lunchtime Stir-Fry Recipes