Average User Rating:
Everyone loves tacos – since you get to build them yourself and put in just what you desire. If you have leftovers, use them in Deluxe Taco Soup (see tip, below).
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa
- 16 hard taco shells
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
- In a small bowl mix chili powder, garlic, cumin, salt, coriander, paprika and black pepper to combine.
- In large skillet over medium high heat heat oil until shimmers. Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add seasoning mix stirring to combine. Cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add beef, breaking up with side of wooden spoon, 7 minutes, or until cooked through, tomatoes and salsa, stirring to combine. Cook 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Heat taco shells according to manufacturer's directions. Divide meat mixture among shells. Serve with lettuce, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.
Make it Faster
1/2 package (about 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) taco seasoning can be used instead of the seasoning mix.
Tips & Tricks
If you have 3/4 cup of the beef mixture leftover, then use it to make Deluxe Taco Soup. The flavors work perfectly with the Soup and using the leftovers makes the Soup quicker and easier to make.
How kids can help
They can make the seasoning mix.