Deluxe Nut Bars
By Linda J. Amendt
Average User Rating:
Walnuts, pecans, cashews and almonds make these buttery cookies a treat for nut lovers, especially around Christmas or for any holiday celebration.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar (75 mL)
- 1⁄4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces (250 mL)
- 2⁄3 cup light (golden) corn syrup (150 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar (125 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces (75 mL)
- 3 tbsp whipping (35 percent) cream (45 mL)
- 1 cup walnut halves (250 mL)
- 1 cup pecan halves (250 mL)
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews (250 mL)
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds (250 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil and grease with butter.
- Crust: In a bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar and salt until well combined. Using a pastry blender, a fork or your fingers, cut in butter until evenly combined. Mixture will resemble coarse crumbs and start to come together. Using the back of a spoon or your fingers, press crust evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Filling: In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat corn syrup and brown sugar, stirring constantly until brown sugar is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes without stirring. Add butter and cream. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in walnuts, pecans, cashews and almonds. Spread nut filling evenly over cooled crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely in baking pan on a wire rack.
- Using foil, lift cooled bars from pan and place on a cutting board. Cut into 1x2-1⁄4-inch (2.5 by 5.5 cm) bars.
Recipe and image from the book 400 Sensational Cookies by Linda J. Amendt (Robert Rose Inc., 2009).
Tips & Tricks
Use shiny or light-colored metal baking pans for making bars. Dark pans absorb more heat and can cause bars to overbake.
Store bars between layers of wax paper in a tightly sealed container. Bars can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Baking Time: 20 minutes