Dad-Size Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
This Father's Day why not make the big guy a larger-than-life cookie?
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) rolled oats (regular or quick cooking, but not instant)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
- prepared icing (store bought or homemade) for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet or pizza pan with baking parchment paper and lightly grease the paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture is very smooth and light -- about two minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda. Add this mixture to the butter mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- With a pencil, draw a 10-inch (25-cm) circle on the parchment paper. If you want to make your cookie into a different shape (see suggestions below) draw that shape instead. Remember – as it bakes, the batter will spread slightly, so leave enough room for expansion. Use the 10-inch (25-cm) circle as a rough guide to how large a cookie you can make. Baked, a 10-inch (25-cm) cookie will expand to about 12 inches (30 cm).
- Dump the batter in the center of the pencil shape and spread it out evenly to the edges. The batter should be about 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes – or until very lightly browned. Remove pan from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Gently slide the parchment paper onto a rack and let the cookie cool completely before decorating.
Servings: Makes one fabulous Dad-sized Father’s Day Cookie.
Bake a giant cookie in a special shape and decorate it.
- Shirt with necktie
- T-shirt with favorite sports team logo
- Sports car or truck
- Trophy cup
- Portrait of Dad!
- Football, baseball, basketball, golf ball or soccer ball
- Musical instrument
How kids can help:
- Mix up the batter and spread it in the pan
- Decorate the cookie especially for Dad