Crispy Asparagus Rafts
Recipe by Diane Forley Otsuka
Average User Rating:
Capture your youngster's imagination with these "see-worthy" creations. Adding cheese and a crumb crust ensures that everyone in the family will devour their veggies in record time.
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten with a fork
- 16 small to medium asparagus stalks, trimmed and cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt (optional)
- To cook asparagus, boil in salted water until the stalks are just tender, about 4 minutes, then chill them.
- Measure out bread crumbs, cheese, and thyme into a large shallow bowl. Put flour on a plate. Put egg into a wide shallow bowl.
- Line up 4 asparagus stalks side by side on a cutting board. Skewer 4 toothpicks into the set of 4 stalks at about 1-inch intervals to hold asparagus together like a raft. Repeat with remaining asparagus.
- Dip each asparagus raft in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, patting crumbs evenly, and transfer to a plate.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil until just hot, then gently slide in asparagus rafts and cook over medium heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn rafts over and cook other side until golden, about 3 minutes more. Sprinkle with salt if you want.
- Slice each raft crosswise between the toothpicks, then remove sticks.
Recipe originally published in Wondertime magazine.