Creamy Corn Chowder
Originally submitted by JNICKEL and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
This creamy chowder is a tasty blend of garden fresh corn, smoky bacon and seasoned potatoes enveloped in a rich, velvety cheese sauce. Quick, convenient and full of unforgettable flavor, it's a delicious way to work in your vegetables.
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (11 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook and stir the bacon until crisp. Drain off grease, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pot. Break the bacon into pieces in the pot.
- Place the onion in the pot, and cook until transparent. Mix in the potatoes, and cook until lightly browned on the outside. Stir in the chicken broth, and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Pour in the cream-style corn and whole kernel corn, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the cream, Monterey Jack cheese, and Cheddar cheese over low heat. Do not boil. Remove from the heat, and serve.
Servings per Recipe: 6
- calories: 382cal
- total fat: 19.9g
- cholesterol: 54mg
- sodium: 1272mg
- carbohydrates: 38.9g
- fiber: 4.9g
- protein: 14g
Cooking Time: 35 min.
Ready In: 45 min.
Try it With:
Fettuccine with Sweet Pepper Sauce