Vegetarian Corn Dog Casserole
Originally submitted by Kim and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
Perfect for the fussy eaters and budding vegetarians at your table, this crowd-pleasing casserole combines vegetarian hot dogs with corn bread mix, Cheddar cheese and savory seasonings for an unexpected treat at dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups sliced green onion
- 1-1/2 pounds vegetarian hot dogs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages dry corn bread mix
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a shallow 3 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter, then saute celery for 5 minutes. Stir in green onions, and saute an additional 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, saute hot dogs for 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix hot dogs into celery and onions. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, sage, pepper, and corn bread mix. Stir well to combine, then stir into remaining hot dog mixture. Mix in 1-1/2 cups cheese. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Servings per Recipe: 12
- calories: 396cal
- total fat: 19.3g
- cholesterol: 58mg
- sodium: 1074mg
- carbohydrates: 34.5g
- fiber: 3.5g
- protein: 21.5g
Cooking Time: 30 min.
Ready In: 45 min.
Try it With:
Blooming Onion and Dipping Sauce
Related Recipes & Articles:
Where's the Beef? Raising Vegetarian Babies and Kids
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes