Cookies and Cream Cake
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Linette Gerlach
Average User Rating:
Who doesn't love Oreo cookies? This cake is sure to be a huge hit at any birthday party or event. The recipe is built on a simple yellow cake recipe, with a cream cheese icing, and bits of crushed chocolate sandwich cookies worked in for maximum flavor.
- Basic Yellow Cake recipe
- 8 to 10 crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
- 5 to 6 whole chocolate sandwich cookies
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, brought to room temperature
- 1/2 cup of butter, brought to room temperature
- 4-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of water
- Prepare Basic Yellow Cake, following directions for two 9 inch round pans. Let cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack and cool 30 minutes.
- To make frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add water and confectioner sugar slowly while you mix. Blend until the icing hold its shape. If the icing is too thin, add a little more confectioner sugar or refrigerate it for a few minutes to chill it. If it is too stiff add a little more water, one teaspoon at a time.
- Cover a cardboard cake plate with foil and spread a thin layer of icing in the center of the cake board to hold the cake in place. Use a cake leveler or a serrated knife to level off the tops of the cakes. Lay the first cake on the covered board, cut side down.
- Combine one cup of the icing, with 1/4 cup of the crushed cookies, then spread the mixture on top of the bottom layer of cake. Add the second layer on top and spread a thin layer of icing over the whole cake to seal in the crumbs. Refrigerate the cake for 10 to 15 minutes to set the icing. Once the first layer of icing has chilled, add a second thicker layer of icing to the cake.
- Use a star-shape cake decorating tip on the end of a pastry bag to pipe 5 or 6 rosettes around the outside of the top of the cake. Insert one chocolate cookie vertically into each rosette (see photo). Pipe another string of icing around the base of the cake, then sprinkle the rest of the crushed cookies onto the piped icing. Chill until ready to serve.
Baking Time: 30 minutes
More recipes based on the Basic Yellow Cake recipe: