Cinnamon Raisin Soft Pretzels
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Tantalize your taste buds with the sweet smells of cinnamon sugar and freshly baked bread swirling through your kitchen. These soft pretzels are simply scrumptious served warm from the oven or reheated in a toaster oven.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) raisins
- 3-3/4 cup (850 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper and grease the paper lightly.
- Measure the raisins into a bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Let soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the egg. Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir well until everything is blended. Drain the raisins and add to the dough, mixing well -- the dough will be quite soft.
- Sprinkle some additional flour onto the counter or table (or wherever you like to work) and turn the dough out onto this floured surface. Knead the dough about 10 to 15 times, just to make it all uniform, then cut into 12 equal pieces. Working with one lump of dough at a time, roll it out into an even rope about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick. Twist it into a pretzel shape -- experiment until you get it right -- and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining lumps of dough.
- Stir together the cinnamon and sugar and melt the butter in a small dish. Brush each pretzel with some butter, then sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
How kids can help
Mix and knead the dough.
Form the pretzel shapes and sprinkle with sugar mixture.