by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
The fresh veggies in this version of everyone’s favourite Mexican dip give it a rich and wonderful texture. Our chunky guacamole is perfect for scooping up with tortilla chips or topping tacos and burritos.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and peel them. If they are ripe, the peel should come off easily. Dice the avocado flesh, and dump into a bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, and toss to combine without mashing. The ingredients should remain separate, and the salsa chunky.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping, or as an accompaniment to tacos or burritos.
How kids can help:
Dice the avocado while it’s still in its shell! Cut the avocado in half, pull the halves apart, remove the pit and cut criss-cross all the way to the skin (but not through it). Remove the diced avocado from the skin using a spoon.
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.