Chicken Pot Pie
Originally submitted by Corwynn Darkholme and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
Fresh and frozen vegetables combine with juicy chicken in a rich broth and buttery sauce for this simple one-dish meal. The whole family will love tucking into this comforting dinner at day's end.
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine the chicken meat, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken and let cool. Pour the remaining chicken broth mixture into a measuring cup. Let stand; spoon off fat. Add enough milk to the broth mixture to equal 2-1/2 cups. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In the same pan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Saute, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and boils. Add the chicken, vegetables, parsley and thyme. Pour mixture into a 1-1/2-quart deep casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll out pastry 1 inch larger than the diameter of the casserole dish on a lightly floured surface. Cut slits in the pastry for venting air. Place pastry on top of casserole. Roll edges and cut away extra pastry; flute edges by pinching together. Reroll scraps to cut into decorative designs. Place on top of pastry. Brush pastry with beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Servings per Recipe: 4
- calories: 670cal
- total fat: 29.8g
- cholesterol: 183mg
- sodium: 1101mg
- carbohydrates: 48g
- fiber: 6.3g
- protein: 51.7g