Chicken Braised in Tomato and Marjoram
Original Kaboose.com recipe by Chef Eddie Blyden
Average User Rating:
Made with slow cooked chicken thighs and Yukon gold potatoes, along with tomatoes and marjoram, your family will ask for this one-dish casserole meal again and again.
To see all the chef-inspired recipes, check out our Shortcuts from a Chef: 18 Easy Recipes gallery!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs
- 16-20 frozen pearl onions, defrosted
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 whole, small or 1 large star anise
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole pear tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup pitted olives, green and black
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- Salt and pepper
- Season thighs with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a heavy bottom large skillet. Add olive oil and brown chicken thighs over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and place it in a covered container to keep warm.
- In the same skillet drain all but 3 tablespoons of the remaining oil. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, potatoes, mushrooms, star anise, marjoram, and garlic, and sweat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Next, add crushed tomatoes and chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then return the chicken to the skillet. Simmer and cover for 15 to 20 minutes. Taste to see if need more salt and pepper, add olives, and stir. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
1 hour and 15 minutes