Cheese Steak Quesadillas
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography
Average User Rating:
Try this Mexican inspired twist on a classic cheese steak – instead of having it on a hoagie roll, it’s on a fried tortilla. This filling main dish is perfect for any casual entertaining occasion. For appetizer size servings, just cut each quesadilla into four slices.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds bone-in rib eye steak (1-1/2 pounds de-boned)
- Oil for frying (see instructions)
- 8 large (9-1/2-inch) tortillas
- 12 slices American cheese
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until it shimmers. Add onions, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, and cook about 4 minutes, or until light brown. Set aside.
- To make meat easier to slice, place it in the freezer until partially frozen, about 30 minutes. Thinly slice meat at a 45 degree angle. Add 1 teaspoon oil to large skillet. Heat over medium high heat until shimmers; add half the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked. Remove from pan and reserve. Repeat with remaining meat. Combine meat and reserved onions in a large bowl and keep warm.
- Wipe skillet clean and heat 2 teaspoons oil until shimmers. Add tortilla and cook about 20 seconds, until blistered. Turn over, place 1-1/2 slices cheese and 1/8 of the meat mixture over half the tortilla. Fold tortilla over filling. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese.
A lesser quality meat can be substituted, but is not recommended.
Meat and onions can be cooked and kept in refrigerator up to 3 days. Let it come to room temperature before using.
Make it Faster
While sliced rib eye is traditional, slicing the meat thin while frozen is time consuming. You can cook up a steak of your choice and slice it as thin or thick as you want after it is cooked.
Tips & Tricks
Since the tortillas cook so fast be sure to have all your ingredients on hand and ready to go.
A set of tongs is very helpful for turning the tortillas.